miércoles, 30 de julio de 2008

The Text Linguistics and Grammar

Text linguistics is a branch of linguistics that deals with texts as communication systems. Its original aims lay in uncovering and describing text grammars. The application of text linguistics has, however, evolved from this approach to a point in which text is viewed in much broader terms that go beyond a more extension of traditional grammar towards an entire text. Text linguistics takes into account the form of a text, but also its setting, i.e. the way in which it is situated in an interactional, communicative context. Both the author of a (written or spoken) text as well as its addressee are taken into consideration in their respective (social and/or institutional) roles in the specific communicative context. In general it is an application of linguistic analysis at the much broader level of text, rather than just a sentence or word.

Glossary of English Grammar Terms
*Active Voice In the active voice

, the subject of the verb does the action (eg They killed the President). See also Passive Voice.
*Adjective A word like big, red, easy, French etc. An adjective describes a noun or pronoun.
*Adverb A word like slowly, quietly, well, often etc. An adverb modifies a verb.
*Article The "indefinite" articles are a and an. The "definite article" is the.
*Auxiliary Verb A verb that is used with a main verb. Be, do and have are auxiliary verbs. Can, may, must etc are modal auxiliary verbs.
*Clause A group of words containing a subject and its verb (for example: It was late when he arrived).
*Conjunction A word used to connect words, phrases and clauses (for example: and, but, if).
*Infinitive The basic form of a verb as in to work or work.
*Interjection An exclamation inserted into an utterance without grammatical connection (for example: oh!, ah!, ouch!, well!).
*Modal Verb An auxiliary verb like can, may, must etc that modifies the main verb and expresses possibility, probability etc. It is also called "modal auxiliary verb".
*Noun A word like table, dog, teacher, America etc. A noun is the name of an object, concept, person or place.

A "concrete noun" is something you can see or touch like a person or car.
An "abstract noun" is something that you cannot see or touch like a decision or happiness.
A "countable noun" is something that you can count (for example: bottle, song, dollar).
An "uncountable noun" is something that you cannot count (for example: water, music, money).

*Object In the active voice, a noun or its equivalent that receives the action of the verb. In the passive voice, a noun or its equivalent that does the action of the verb.
*Participle The -ing and -ed forms of verbs. The -ing form is called the "present participle". The -ed form is called the "past participle" (for irregular verbs, this is column 3).
*Part Of Speech One of the eight classes of word in English - noun, verb, adjective, adverb, pronoun, preposition, conjunction and interjection.
*Passive Voice In the passive voice, the subject receives the action of the verb (eg The President was killed). See also Active Voice.
PhraseA group of words not containing a subject and its verb (eg on the table, the girl in a red dress).
*Predicate Each sentence contains (or implies) two parts: a subject and a predicate. The predicate is what is said about the subject.
*Preposition A word like at, to, in, over etc. Prepositions usually come before a noun and give information about things like time, place and direction.
*Pronoun A word like I, me, you, he, him, it etc. A pronoun replaces a noun.
*Sentence A group of words that express a thought. A sentence conveys a statement, question, exclamation or command. A sentence contains or implies a subject and a predicate. In simple terms, a sentence must contain a verb and (usually) a subject. A sentence starts with a capital letter and ends with a full stop (.), question mark (?) or exclamation mark (!).
SubjectEvery sentence contains (or implies) two parts: a subject and a predicate. The subject is the main noun (or equivalent) in a sentence about which something is said.
TenseThe form of a verb that shows us when the action or state happens (past, present or future). Note that the name of a tense is not always a guide to when the action happens. The "present continuous tense", for example, can be used to talk about the present or the future.
VerbA word like (to) work, (to) love, (to) begin. A verb describes an action or state.


What is Grammar?
Grammar is the system of a language. People sometimes describe grammar as the "rules" of a language; but in fact no language has rules*. If we use the word "rules", we suggest that somebody created the rules first and then spoke the language, like a new game. But languages did not start like that. Languages started by people making sounds which evolved into words, phrases and sentences. No commonly-spoken language is fixed. All languages change over time. What we call "grammar" is simply a reflection of a language at a particular time.
Do we need to study grammar to learn a language? The short answer is "no". Very many people in the world speak their own, native language without having studied its grammar. Children start to speak before they even know the word "grammar". But if you are serious about learning a foreign language, the long answer is "yes, grammar can help you to learn a language more quickly and more efficiently." It's important to think of grammar as something that can help you, like a friend. When you understand the grammar (or system) of a language, you can understand many things yourself, without having to ask a teacher or look in a book.



Parts of Speech Table
This is a summary of the 8 parts of speech*. You can find more detail if you click on each part of speech.

Verb
action or state
(to) be, have, do, like, work, sing, can, must
EnglishClub.com is a web site. I like EnglishClub.com.
Noun
thing or person
pen, dog, work, music, town, London, teacher, John
This is my dog. He lives in my house. We live in London.
Adjective
describes a noun
a/an, the, 69, some, good, big, red, well, interesting
My dog is big. I like big dogs.
Adverb
describes a verb, adjective or adverb
quickly, silently, well, badly, very, really
My dog eats quickly. When he is very hungry, he eats really quickly.
Pronoun
replaces a noun
I, you, he, she, some
Tara is Indian. She is beautiful.
Preposition
links a noun to another word
to, at, after, on, but
We went to school on Monday.
Conjunction
joins clauses or sentences or words
and, but, when
I like dogs and I like cats. I like cats and dogs. I like dogs but I don't like cats.
Interjection
short exclamation, sometimes inserted into a sentence
oh!, ouch!, hi!, well
Ouch! That hurts! Hi! How are you? Well, I don't know.
* Some grammar sources categorize English into 9 or 10 parts of speech. At EnglishClub.com, we use the traditional categorization of 8 parts of speech. Examples of other categorizations are:
Verbs may be treated as two different parts of speech:
Lexical Verbs (work, like, run)
Auxiliary Verbs (be, have, must)
Determiners may be treated as a separate part of speech, instead of being categorized under Adjectives



Words with More than One Job
Many words in English can have more than one job, or be more than one part of speech. For example, "work" can be a verb and a noun; "but" can be a conjunction and a preposition; "well" can be an adjective, an adverb and an interjection. In addition, many nouns can act as adjectives.
To analyze the part of speech, ask yourself: "What job is this word doing in this sentence?"
In fact, if you look in a good dictionary you will see that the word but has six jobs to do:
verb, noun, adverb, pronoun, preposition and conjuction!

85 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Esta pagina es muy interesante por que me ha permitido conocer mas sobre el idioma. La felicito.

Maria Rodriguez dijo...

I think it's very important to get involved with new grammar points specially those that have been published recently. We as teachers applied different roles in class sometimes we are assessors,controller, organiser,prompter, participantant we can succed if we do our job the best that's the reason that we will consider many aspects of class management including student groupings and discipline

giovanna conterno dijo...
Este comentario ha sido eliminado por un administrador del blog.
Becky dijo...

This page is really a good tool to improve our English. thanks
Elfri Palacios

Anónimo dijo...

I would like to have more information about text linguistics
It's very important to be familiar with these branch of the linguistics. Elfri

liliam dijo...

I would like to know about the use of phrasal verbs which are used more frequently in the upper grades. Apart from this, I think Listening is an important way to improve one of our abilities . I hope you or others can consider it in a next programm.

Ceci dijo...

I think that we didn’t have much time to develop more items in our area . I believe that some important aspects haven’t been considered, for example: phonetics. Finally, I think you must improve your evaluation because I don’t agree with my grade. I mean the modal class.

Mary Gomez dijo...

This trainning has been very tired for me, because the hours were on Saturday , and for our area was until 10 p.m. so, I think it wasn’t enough because we need more topics for example didactical materials , this is more important to motivate to our students in order to improve their learning

Unknown dijo...

I think this blog is very interesting, because we help to increase our knowledge.
However we didn't have enough time to develop some strategies to improve our classes.
There are many topics what they weren't considered for examples: phrasal verbs, idioms, etc.

giovanna conterno dijo...

WHERE IS MY OPINION?????????

carmen coronado dijo...

It has been a great experience being involved in training. However I think it should have been a great idea to get information about evaluation materials, as well as how to deal with grammar in a communicative way.
Carmen Coronado

Unknown dijo...

To review some grammar points during a personal session make us to improve this part of the language that is composary for teachers of English. The excercise were not so difficult. The listening parts take more time in my case.
In some cases I have had some doubts about how to call there is and there are in Spanish and it could be a good way to inform more about the topic, if you could send me more information.

Ana del Rosario dijo...

Thats interesting

María Asunción Odar Orozco dijo...

I think It is very important to have this kind of class, where we would review our knowledge and improve them.
We must organise our time and applied with our students and do our job best. thanks a lot for this opportunity.

Anónimo dijo...
Este comentario ha sido eliminado por un administrador del blog.
Anónimo dijo...

this is important for us, because we use this theme every days with our students,I find it very impotant and interesting to read

Anónimo dijo...

this is important for us, because we use this theme every days with our students,I find it very impotant and interesting to read

Unknown dijo...

this is an interesting program where teachers can learn differents skills.

Unknown dijo...

I consider this page is very interesting because It helps me to remember many things I forgot since I started to study at the university.

Martha dijo...

that´s ok

Unknown dijo...

I think this page is very interesting because we can learn more strategies to develop in class as English teachers

Unknown dijo...

okey

Unknown dijo...

It's wonderful to be in contact again with this blog. I hope this message be on time, and I invite to my collegues to read the different kinds of articles that this blog have, they are very very interesting

Anónimo dijo...

I think that english teacher should exploit siuationts that occur in the classroom.
fore instance : when some students are talking in the class, teacher says them "dont talk", and then other student repeat the same to another student who is talkimg too.

Unknown dijo...

About the article What is Grammar? I support the idea, because It's true that a kid learns a foreign language easily, and the child doesn't need to know all about grammar, but if a person wants to learn the language in formal way it's necessary to focus on it.

Unknown dijo...

dear teacher
I would like to know more about skills as spelling, reading, listening techniques. thank you.
daniel

Unknown dijo...

I was resarching about the properties of the language specially the arbitrariness,
it means the names that we give to persons, objects ,etc. in different languages

Anónimo dijo...

This page is a good way to practice our English language because we can interact with others to interchange new ideas.

Anónimo dijo...

This exercises are very important for us ua teacher . I would like know about other blogs that I can develope in class with my students.

Anónimo dijo...

the organization of an activity by the teacher is very inportant,if the students have not understood the instrutions they will not be able to do their exercises or task.

Martha dijo...

This blog helps us, the teachers, to remember and increase our knowledge. I enjoy the article about linguistic. :) MDCG

María Asunción Odar Orozco dijo...

I think that we must know how to sent our works.
Well beside that i enjoy with this page, because I review my grammar and do my job best. thanks

Anónimo dijo...

This page is guaranteed to motivate our teenage students and it promotes their own evaluation.

Anónimo dijo...

for me the english subject is interesting importan and it helps me to learnnew techniques for the develop of the learning of my students and keepimprovingand actualizing permanently in a fun and simple way

María Asunción Odar Orozco dijo...

This page is very important for the teachers. Because we use these themes in our classes with the students. we are waiting more help from this course to improve our knowdlege. thanks

Unknown dijo...

Dear teacher:
I think you are doing a great job! I wish I had learn more about grammar and linguistic.
sincerely
Daniel Rojas

Unknown dijo...

I consider it's necessary to organize a group of coversation to improve our pronunciation and fluency at the moment of communicating in English.

Martha dijo...

Hello Ana Maria
The text about British and American culture was something important to remember when we speak about the way to communicate, I enjoy it however at first I though the text will be about costume and traditions So I still want to know some costumes or traditions that are differents between those countries, for example Why, how and when do they celebrate halloween? What's the real meaning for them?
thanks
MDCG

Anónimo dijo...

I'm agree with Edith. We as teachers need to be in contact with other english teachers in order to practice not only conversations but also to share new techniques, exercises and anythinh else that we can develop in class.

Ana del Rosario dijo...

FOR ME THE ENGLISH SUBJECT IS INTERESTING IMPORTANT AND IT HELPS ME TO LEARN STUDENTS AND KEP IMPROVING AND ACTUALIZING PERMANENTLY IN A FUN AND SIMPLE WAY

Unknown dijo...

It was interesting to read about the differences between American English and British English. Personally I prefer to use the American English in spite of at my university taught me Britsh English, buy I feel more confortable using the American one.

Unknown dijo...

Thanks Anita:
My eternal gratitude for you teach and show me Linguistic, The Text Linguistic and The Relation Text and Discurse.
Another topic That I liked me was Sociolinguistic, Sociology and The Difference between Language and Dialect. I exposed last Friday about Sociology The aspects of Linguistics applied toward the conections from language and society as changes in population, criminology, behavior and social stratification.
Natalia

Unknown dijo...

Thanks Anita:
My eternal gratitude for you teach and show me Linguistic, The Text Linguistic and The Relation Text and Discurse.
Another topic That I liked me was Sociolinguistic, Sociology and The Difference between Language and Dialect. I exposed last Friday about Sociology The aspects of Linguistics applied toward the conections from language and society as changes in population, criminology, behavior and social stratification.
Natalia

Unknown dijo...

this electronic page is fantastic because we can learn more grammar points.The english exercises help me in english classes.

Martha dijo...

Hi Ana Maria
I enjoy the topic british and american culture
And I can find many differences in entonation, pronunciation and accents.
I would like to know about how to pronounse.
Thank u @:)
MDCG

Unknown dijo...

hello Miss,i am here,practicing my english and learning about grammar, this class was very interesting, i learnt something more about that, and in the other way i improve my english.

Unknown dijo...

it is very interesting.

Unknown dijo...

British and American english have big differences in the pronounciation, which is very difficult for many people who wishes to learn english as a second language

María Asunción Odar Orozco dijo...

Hi! everybody I enjoy the text about British and American culture. I would like to practice the pronounciation and have more about these difference betwwen them. Sometimes I didn´t Know which belong to.

Anónimo dijo...

hello anita thanks for your reccomentadions and for the ideas that you bring to us.Please help me with some ideas for the open day it will be next month, bye

Martha dijo...

Hello
The video of adjectives is a good didactical material and i would like to show this to my students.
I know that they'll be happy.
MDCG

María Asunción Odar Orozco dijo...

Well I enjoy and laugh a lot with the different meaning of Yankes and Limeys words as "stuffed" "biggie" "rubber".
This is really funny. I would like to use with both meaning.

Anónimo dijo...

I enjoy the reading about culture and I would like that you give us more information about that. For example literature and holidays

Unknown dijo...

I was watchng the videos about grammar, I would like to show this material to my students, in the classroom.

Unknown dijo...

I was reading about The text Linguistic and Grammar, I consider It's not easy to understand it. I would like to share opinions about this topic with my collegues.

Anónimo dijo...

It was very interesting the reading about the differences between American and Brithish culture I would like that you explain us more about this topic in class bye

Unknown dijo...

I would like to learn more about The Text Lingustic, this point it's not clear for me and it's not easy to uderstand it.

Anónimo dijo...

Miss Anita
The text about Linguistic is very interesting but there are some points that I would like that you explain to us, thanks

Anónimo dijo...

I wuolk like that youn give some material in order to put in practice (as a rewiew)the points that are consider in the text linguistic and grammar

Anónimo dijo...

I would like to have more information about text linguistic, please tell me where I could

Anónimo dijo...

Happy birthay miss Anita. I hope that you have a wonderful day with all your family and frieds.
My best wishes for you.
See you tonight.

María Asunción Odar Orozco dijo...

I think It is very important if we use everything . I mean to practice what we have learned. Happy Birthday again, GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!

Anónimo dijo...

I´m agree with the idea to reinforce the evaluation part because this point is very important but it is not clear when we to put in practice. So I would like more than an explanation I'd like a practice session, thanks

Unknown dijo...

I´m glad to learn with gymglish. I coudn´t undertstand some grammar topics but gymglish help me to exercise in linguistic and grammar.It is so good!

Anónimo dijo...

I´ve only sent the exercise 3 Please give one chance to do the others.I would like to it and I hopethat the next class you give us the answers, thanks

Unknown dijo...

I need some help to understand the Text Linguistics, please Miss I hope you explain widely this topic again.

Unknown dijo...

The last class was very interesting, when we were talking about the differences between the American and the British English, some aspects about it were cleared for me.

Anónimo dijo...

Miss for the next classes, I would like that you explain us how to use the TICs in our English sessions. I have some information but it is for other school subjects and it is a tool that we have to develop in class.

Unknown dijo...

Miss you told us that there will be another exercise, the last one, when are you going to give us? it was very interesting to do the exercises 1 and 3.

Martha dijo...

Hello Ana
I saw the video about Language: Kinds and Funtions. It's very very interesting, I enjoy this material.
I would like to know how to use TICs too.
MDCG @:)

María Asunción Odar Orozco dijo...

I would like to know more about skills using in class.
Everything what has been taught in this course is very interesting

patricia donayre uribe dijo...

I feel very happy for to have a teacher like you, thanks for your classes, they helps us very much, very interesting all the material that you send us, thank you

Unknown dijo...

dear Anita
I saw the videos. They are fantastic! I think is very important to get more information about Kinds of learning.
Daniel

Unknown dijo...

I waas reading about Evaluation. It was very very interesting.There are a lot of things to learn about it, we have to manage those terms and of course put them in practicre.

Unknown dijo...

For me it^s interesting to know the grammar and listening because we can improve our abilities and
motivate to our student
I hope that we have more exercises in phonics, grammar, and listening.

Unknown dijo...

that`s ok

Anónimo dijo...

Everything that we've done in this course was very important for us. For the last classes give us new skills to develop with our student next year

Anónimo dijo...

The information about evaluation is excellent because it is specific for our course thank you a lot.

Anónimo dijo...

Miss Ana please don't forget the fairy tales and some proyects that I need for my work at school.Thanks see you later

Anónimo dijo...

Hi! miss I want to know when and where is going to be the next class on tuesday or friday.
I would like that you give us more ideas about proyects or plays that we could use with our students, maybe you have some resourses too.

Anónimo dijo...

miss Ana, please give us new materials that help us with our classes specially for primary level.

Unknown dijo...

Miss, I hope we can arrange our schedule in order to finish our classes as soon as possible, please...

Anónimo dijo...

I'm agree with Edith I´d like to finish the course as soon as possible because December is a very complicated month specially at school.

Anónimo dijo...

Miss don't forget the material that I ask you to bring me. Please

Anónimo dijo...

I jiust see the video. It was very interesting. Don't forget us and continue helping us to improve our job. We never forget what you teach us. thanks for every thing